Room – Herald Doll Room, February 21st, 2023, 1:30 to 3:00 pm. Hyatt Regency Centre, Calgary Alberta
Speaker – Steve Gaspar, Dr. Ray Baker, and Kyle Young Pine
Recovery Coaches Alberta (RCA) is a new initiative providing, at no cost, recovery coaching and training to any Albertan (18+) in active addiction or any stage of recovery. Exploring the evolution of the program including how recovery coaches are developed and evaluated, and how to effectively engage community members, RCA will present preliminary data and discuss the successes and challenges of this initiative including recovery coaching within First Nations communities.
- Understand the role of the recovery coach
- Understand how to develop competent and confident coaches. Including evaluation of a coach’s skill and a discussion of whether organizations should have staff recovery coaches.
- Understand how to effectively engage with community members and organizations. Including First Nations communities
- Provide initial clarity for potential, measurable, outcomes for recovery coaching
- Cloud W, Granfield R, Conceptualising recovery capital: expansion of a theoretical construct, Substance Use and Misuse, 43(12-13) 2008
- Seligman M, Learned Optimism: how to change your mind and your life, Vintage 2006
Moore M, Tschannen-Moran B, Jackson E, Wellcoaches Coaching Psychology Manual (2nd ed), Wolters Kluwer (2016)
- Mathie A, Cunningham M, From Clients to Citizens: Asset-Based Community Development as a Strategy for Community Driven Development 2002. Coady International Institute, St. Francis Xavier University
- Best D, Irving J, Collinson B, Edwards M, Recovery networks and community connections: identifying connection needs and community linkage opportunities in early recovery populations (2016) Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly 35(1),2-15